This is a funny one "Seven lies about home schoolers"
Various round-robin emails and youtube clips - some long since detached from their original source. If they are yours please contact me to I can link and credit you
- This was adapted from an American message by a fabulous mother in our local home ed group.
The Home Educators wish list :
1. Please stop asking us if it's legal. If it is - and it is - it's insulting to imply that we're criminals. And if we were criminals would we admit it??
2. Learn what the words "socialize" and "socialization" mean, and use the one you really mean instead of mixing them up the way you do now. Socializing means hanging out with other people for fun. Socialization means having aquired the skills necessary to do so successfully and pleasantly. If you're talking to me and my children, that means that we do in fact go outside now and then and visit other human beings on the planet, and you can safely assume that we've got a decent grasp of both concepts.
3. Quit interrupting my child at her dance class, scout meeting, art class, choir /swimming lesson and asking them that if as a homeschooler they ever socialize!
4. Please stop telling us horror storoes about the homeschoolers you know, or think you know, who you think have ruined their kids lives by homeschooling. You're probably the same little bluebird of happiness whose hobby it is to run off to pregnant women and tell them every ghastly birth story you've ever heard.
5. Don't assume that every homeschooler home educates for the same reasons or in the same way.
6. We don't look horrified and start quizzing your kids when we hear they're public school educated. Please stop drilling opur kids as if they are mini oil fields to see if we're doing what you consider to be an adequate job of home educating!
7. Stop assuming all home schoolers are religious!!
8. Please stop questioning my competancy and demanding to see my credentials. I didn't have to complete a course in catering to successfully cook dinner for my family; I don't need a degree in teaching to educate my children. If spending at least 12 years in the kind of chew it up and spit it out educational facility we call public school left me with so little information in my memory banks that I can't teach the basics of a primary school education to my nearest and dearest, maybe there's a reason i'm so reluctant to send my child to school.
9. If my child is six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach them what they'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respong in kind.
10. Stop assuming that because the word 'home' is right there in 'homeschooloing', that we never leave the house! We're the ones who go to the parks, amusement parks, museums and zoos in the middle of the week and in the off peak season and laugh at you because you have to go at the weekends when it's crowded and double the price!!
11. Don't ask my child if they would rather be in school, unless you don't mind if I ask your child if they would rather stay at home and have fun!
12. Stop saying "Oh I could never home school!" Even if you think it's a compliment, it sounds more like you're horrified. One of these days , I won't bother disagreeing with you any more.
13. If you can remember anything from your maths, chemistry, history lessons at school, you're allowed to ask me how we'll teach theses subjects to our children. If you can't, thank you for the reassurance that we couldn't possibly do a worse job than your teachers did, and might even do a better one!
14. Stop saying that my child is shy, outgoing, aggressive, anxious, quiet, boisterous, argumenative, pouty, loud, fidgety, chatty, whiny or odd because they are home schooled. It's not fair that all the kids who go to school can be as annoying as they want without being branded as representative of anything but childhood.
15. Stop talking about all the great childhood memories my kids won't have because they don't go to school. Unless you want me to start asking you about all the not so great childhood memories you have because you went to school.
16. Here's a thought.....if you can't say anything nice about home education......SHUT UP!!
Here is a youtube clip I like